Friday, July 30, 2010

Why does age matter

Why does age matter? Will some be able to shed some light on this for me. Since we have moved here we have been trying to find the right pre-school for him, Kodi does have an IEP but with his IEP it states that in Minnesota he does not qualify for Special Education since he only has one qualiation, but they did put in that his team would override that and he would recieve help if we would have stayed in the district. So their recommendation is for him to have another year of pre-k and send him next year which I agree with that decision.
With that send and done we are here in VA and they have different laws about school than Minnesota and because he will 5 before school starts he has to go to kindergarten, and when I try to get a hold of some in special ed or even talk to the Principal they are not returing my calls.
Yes he will be 5 in two days and that should be the age you have your child go to school if they are "normal", kodi is not academically ready, he has trouble with letter, skipping number and on top his speech is delayed. Now if you were to just see Kodi yes he does seem like a normal 5 year old, but once you talk to him you can see he has a speech delay, he has to be redirected wbile in class and did have a hard time finishing projects last year.
The schools are not at the same level here in Virigina as they are in Minnesota, I knew that coming here and I did my best for us to find a home in a good school district, but that did not work that way when our house that we were suppose to buy did not work for us.
Homeschooling is an option but I am not sure how well he would do at home with me and IF he would do school for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment