Saturday, August 21, 2010

A little bit on overload

Overload for both Mom and Kodi, we have been trying to get him tested for school with his speech, and this state is so frustrating. Because Kodi just turned 5 he is suppose to go to Kindergarten, but he is not ready. He just turned 5 this month, and is emotional not ready. I have explained this to the school and along with his SPD he is behind and needs another year in preschool.
Well they did not like that answer, last week we had our special ed meeting and they are going to test him, but I am sure they will get the same scores as Minnesota did where he than falls short of getting help, but that is not the whole story. They need to watch him interact but they won't be able to because they do not have a pre-k for 5 years.
Which makes no sense to me, the kids who are just not ready are falling behind and they don't care. You either go to school at 5 or you don't get any schooling, they have no pre-k at all for 5 year olds.
We did find a private school and loved it but once again I do not have the 19k for tuition crazy.

Anyway some exciting things Dad finally put up the two different swings for the boys. So now they can swing whenever they want. We also have a very cool light in the swing room with a wave that plays when the light is on. Very calming, now only if I can get him in the swing room when he is having a melt down. That is my goal to have him learn where to go when he is screaming and trying to hurt me. Melting down is at least once a week and I hate it.
He gets so very mad and is out of control, I just want to take that pain over for him and do it for him, but I can't.
He has to learn how to channel that anger into a ok form of display. So we found a karate class for him to be in and he is very good at it and loves going. I am praying this is the answer we have been praying for and he will learn. We also have been getting out our OTIS yoga cards and doing them. He loves to do this "yoga"
I also have been trying to do more sensory diet during the day, we open our day with some very good oral input with breakfast, than we do some jumping and rough play, than some movie time, back to more oral input he loves to eat popcorn and drinking out of straws so we do a lot of that.
But we are hitting a wall with a those meltdowns, I don't know how to help him.
Yesterday we came home and a car was blocking the entrance to the road so we went the back way to get to our house and he flipped out. Crying kicking yelling, how to I help him. We even tried to drive out and back in the right way but it was no good.
We have put a call into a therapist for him, but we are still waiting. Just like with OT and speech he has been out of service for 3 going on 4 months, because of our move. I have him on three different waiting lists and still nothing.
So what can I do to help him with those meltdowns?

No comments:

Post a Comment